With the recent turmoil over the message regarding engaging with MPI and the follow up message from myself advising that this is not the Executives recommendation, rather than being percieved as being dictatorial, censoring or disrespectful of those sending or those requesting they be sent, let me address the reasons we have taken this position at this moment.
- I was advised of this initiative by Mr Dave Turner, Director of Fisheries, MPI, earlier last year at a closed meeting in Napier. The ACA, through me, has been contacted by Mr Marty Bowers and I followed that up with a phone call to discuss this and received a overview of the intiative. So the NZACA has made contact.
- As discussed, with Mr Bowers, at the time, there was still much to do before they would be moving forward with this and engaging. The Executive discussed this and decided that we would not put it to the membership until we received the appropriate paperwork.
- We still haven’t had this. I am of the belief that, as of today, the parameters, the Brief or for that matter, a notice of intent have still not been decided or issued. I am of the opinion that this request to engage is premature.
- MPI are obliged to follow correct procedure. The process is incomplete
- Further. Re the advice in the email “To discuss a Shared Fishery”. Without a clear understanding of the actual meaning of this, it is a dangerous discussion to enter and has many consequences, some very detrimental to the Recreational fishers of NZ. Not being disrespectful as there are many of you, who will have an understanding of this but there a many more who won’t. Why does it need to be taken to single fishermen. Lastly. The statement “So that the correct message is getting down to the grass roots level” is an outright slight on the integrity and honesty of the Executive you have voted to represent you.
Rather than being involved in the actions refered to in my opening, I believe the Executive have been responsible in protecting your interests by requiring the correct details are received before advising the membership. Also we have never said not to engage. We have forwarded an opinion only and are clear that should you wish to engage with this group, that is your entirely your choice.